forum.math.uoa.gr

Forum του Τμήματος Μαθηματικών
Ημερομηνία 15 Δεκ 2017, 17:53

Όλοι οι χρόνοι είναι UTC + 2 ώρες [ DST ]

Δημιουργία νέου θέματος Απάντηση στο θέμα  [ 4 δημοσιεύσεις ] 
Συγγραφέας Μήνυμα
 Θέμα δημοσίευσης: Definite Integral with Limit.
ΔημοσίευσηΔημοσιεύτηκε: 01 Νοέμ 2015, 14:26 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Regular Forumer

Εγγραφη: 23 Νοέμ 2011, 19:56
Δημοσ.: 169
Evaluation of \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{1}\left(x^n+(1-x)^n\right)^{\frac{1}{n}}dx

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Θέμα δημοσίευσης: Re: Definite Integral with Limit.
ΔημοσίευσηΔημοσιεύτηκε: 04 Νοέμ 2015, 08:54 
Χωρίς σύνδεση

Εγγραφη: 17 Ιούλ 2014, 12:59
Δημοσ.: 39
Διόρθωση για όσους είδαν 1/2. Η σωστή τιμή είναι 3/4 και εκμεταλλευόμενοι το γεγονός ότι το κάθε είναι όριο φραγμένο και συγκεκριμμένα στο [1/2,1] μπορούμε να βρούμε πως \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} (x^n+(1-x)^n)^{1/n}=max(x,(1-x)). Εκμεταλλευόμαστε την ομοιόμορφη συνέχεια δηλαδή (οι συναρτήσεις f_{n}(x)=(x^n+(1-x)^n)^{1/n} είναι συνεχείς και φραγμένες ολικά από το 1 στο συμπαγές διάστημα [0,1] \forall n\in \mathbb{Z^+} επομένως επιτρέπεται η αλλαγή ορίων). Άρα το ζητούμενο όριο είναι το ολοκλήρωμα \int_{0}^{1} max(x,(1-x))dx=\int_{0}^{1/2} (1-x) dx +\int_{1/2}^{1} xdx=3/8+3/8=3/4.Φυσικά κάθε συνάρτηση είναι συμμετρική ως προς το 1/2 οπότε η αντικατάσταση x=1-y\Leftrightarrow y=1-x απλοποιεί κάπως τα πράγματα.

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

ΔημοσίευσηΔημοσιεύτηκε: 09 Νοέμ 2015, 16:22 
Χωρίς σύνδεση

Εγγραφη: 17 Ιούλ 2014, 12:59
Δημοσ.: 39
Answer: 3/4. Rewritting this answer since I was informed that jacks would prefer an English version of the text. We define a_n=\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt[n]{x^n+(1-x)^n}dx then make the substitution \frac{x}{1-x}=y\Leftrightarrow x=\frac{y}{y+1}, dx=\frac{dy}{(y+1)^2} which gives a_n=\int_{0}^{\infty} \sqrt[n]{(\frac{y}{y+1})^n+(\frac{1}{y+1})^n} \cdot \frac{1}{(y+1)^2}dy=\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt[n]{\frac{y^n+1}{(y+1)^n}}}{(y+1)^2}dy thus a_n=\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt[n]{y^n+1}}{(y+1)^3}dy.

Therefore a_n=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{\sqrt[n]{y^n+1}}{(y+1)^3}dy +\int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt[n]{y^n+1}}{(y+1)^3}dy. Setting z=\frac{1}{y}\Leftrightarrow y=\frac{1}{z}, dy=\frac{-dz}{z^2} reworks our expression to a_n=\int_{\infty}^{1} \frac{\sqrt[n]{(1/z)^n+1}}{(\frac{1}{z}+1)^3} \cdot \frac{-dz}{z^2} +\int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt[n]{y^n+1}}{(y+1)^3}dy=\int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{zdz\sqrt[n]{(1/z)^n+1}
}{z^3 \cdot (\frac{1}{z}+1)^3} +\int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt[n]{y^n+1}}{(y+1)^3}dy=2\int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt[n]{z^n+1}}{(z+1)^3}dz.

It can now be checked that f_z(n)=\sqrt[n]{z^n+1} is strictly decreasing as a function of n\in [1,\infty],\forall z\in [1,\infty]. So we conclude that \liminf_{n \to \infty} a_n\ge 2\int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{z}{(z+1)^3}dz=\frac{3}{4}. Since for every z,n\in [1,\infty]\Rightarrow \frac{\sqrt[n]{z^n+1}-z}{(z+1)^3}<\frac{1}{(z+1)^3} plus the fact that the integral\int_{1}^{\infty} dz/(z+1)^3 converges to a finite limit, we can apply the continuous version of Weierstrass M-criterion to obtain that a_n converges to a finite limit as the sum of finitely convergent integrals. Furthermore, since \lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt[n]{z^n+1}-z=0 for z\ge 1, we obtain that \lim_{n \to \infty} a_n=2\int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{zdz}{(z+1)^3}=3/4 just as we wanted.

P.S The wrong value 1/2 that was mentioned in the first answer was due to a mistake on my part while searching for an anti-derivative for \frac{y}{(y+1)^3} using the method explained above, rather than noticing we could use uniform convergence directly and simplify things as a result, which was shown in the first post. So I first used the above method in my mind in order to solve the problem but a wrong sign of an 1/8 value made me calculate 1/2 initially. Seeing that I had a clash of results I proceeded to check my work, and then I finally noticed the mistake in my calculations and decided to upload my original solution. Hope this clears any sort of confusion about the two posts.

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

ΔημοσίευσηΔημοσιεύτηκε: 20 Νοέμ 2015, 09:19 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Regular Forumer

Εγγραφη: 23 Νοέμ 2011, 19:56
Δημοσ.: 169
Thanks Τσαμπασίδης Χάρης Got it.

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Τελευταίες δημοσιεύσεις:  Ταξινόμηση κατά  
Δημιουργία νέου θέματος Απάντηση στο θέμα  [ 4 δημοσιεύσεις ] 

Όλοι οι χρόνοι είναι UTC + 2 ώρες [ DST ]

Μελη σε συνδεση